This is a recipe from Martha Stewart's website. I love pancakes and this recipe helps make them a little healthier with hearty protein rich quinoa.The cute plate was a Christmas present from Chris last year...so cute!
- 1 cup cooked quinoa or brown rice
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted, plus more for skillet ( I used Earth Balance)
- 1/4 cup milk alternative (I used vanilla almond milk but soy or rice would be great)
- 2 tablespoons raw agave nectar, plus more for serving
In a medium bowl, whisk together quinoa, flour, baking powder, and salt. In another medium bowl, whisk together egg, egg white, butter, milk, and syrup until smooth. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and whisk to combine.
Lightly coat a non-stick skillet with some butter. Cook the batter as you would usually do with pancakes. I cooked mine on medium high for a couple minutes on each side. If you need to do multiple batches make sure you wipe off the pan in between otherwise they will brown and not taste great. Enjoy!
***I also cooked my leftover egg yolk that was separated from the white. I cooked it in the non-stick skillet for a minute or two on each side on low heat. Delicious! *This isn't super healthy so skip this step if you want to avoid unnecessary cholesterol but there are vitamins in the yolk.