Sunday, May 12, 2013

Lentil Meatballs

They look a little crispy in the picture but these were very tasty. I found this recipe in a random email I got from subscribing to recipes.com. The recipes aren't always vegan but you can modify. I followed the recipe for the most part. It said to use zucchini and celery which I didn't have but I did add mushrooms. Also sprouted lentils weren't a requirement but I don't digest them well if not plus sprouting is soo healthy. I should do a post on sprouting...hmm. Anyways these were fairly easy and definitely worth it because they were super yummy.

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked lentils
1/2 onion,diced
1 clove garlic,minced
1 carrot,diced
5 mushrooms(I used crimini), sliced
1 tbl Italian seasonings
1 cup bread crumbs
2 tbl ground flax seeds
3 tbl Worcestershire sauce
2 tbl chickpea flour(or other) + 2 tbl water

Place lentils in a bowl and mash with a fork. I tried this step and they didn't mash well. I think next time Ill use a food processor. Set aside when done.

Add onion and garlic to a pan and heat on medium while you clean and chop the other veggies.

Add carrot and mushrooms to the pan and saute until soft.
Add the veggies to the bowl of lentils and stir. Add to the same bowl the breadcrumbs,Italian seasonings,flax seeds and Worcestershire sauce.
Mix the flour and water in a small bowl and then add to the lentil mixture.
Form the mixture into balls. If it seems dry add some water or non-dairy milk. Heat a non-stick skillet on medium high and cook until crispy on the outside.
I served mine on spaghetti with tomato sauce. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment