Friday, April 13, 2012

Veggie Shepard's Pie

I have had this recipe on my to do list for a while but it takes some time and I didn't have all the ingredients at once. After all the wait it was definitely worth it. I used sweet potatoes for the topping. Chris agrees that russets would taste a little better but sweet potatoes have some extra nutrients and it was what I had. I topped it with a homemade mushroom gravy...yum!

Ingredients:
2 sweet potatoes
1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
1 tbl earth balance butter
1 tbl canola oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped (I used red but yellow would be good)
4 carrots, sliced
4 celery stalks, sliced
1 broccoli stalk, sliced
1 cup veggies broth (I used full sodium but I thought it was a bit salty...chris loved it though)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tsp italian seasonings
3 tbsp whole wheat flour

Dice the potatoes and boil until tender. Mash them with the soymilk and butter. Set aside.
In a large pan, saute oil with onion and garlic on low for 5 minutes.
 Add celery, carrot and broccoli to pan. Saute on medium low for 15 minutes.
In a medium size bowl mix together veggie broth, vinegar, seasonings and flour. Add to pan and cook for 5 minutes.
Place veggie mix in an 8x8 casserole dish.
Top with mashed potatoes.

Bake at 425 for 45 minutes (the original recipe said 30 but mine wasn't crispy for another 15). Top with gravy and enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment