Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Oat Milk

I finally decided to try making my favorite milk alternative. It turned out a little more starchy than I like and when I added it to my mashed potatoes they literally turned to paste. I think I will try using four cups of water or more next time. I will share some of the other experiments as they turn out but give it a try and modify because I think this is a great alternative to of course dairy and store bought options for milk.

Ingredients:
1 cup steel cut oats
3 cups water

Soak the oats for 12 to 24 hours in a bowl with enough water to cover by an inch.
Rinse them under water until it runs mostly clear (I think I should have rinsed mine more).
Place the oats in the blender with 3 cups of water and blend until smooth.
Run the milk through the strainer a couple times to remove and grit that the blender couldn't get. You can add sweetener, cinnamon, salt or whatever you like. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment