Monday, February 18, 2013

Saurkraut Soup

I know it might sound strange but this Eastern European dish is quite popular, especially among vegetarian/vegans. I have been wanting to make this for a while and decided to make my own homemade saurkraut for the recipe. It was pretty much a basic veggie soup with saurkraut. The original recipe says to cook it with the saurkraut in it but I didn't want to kill any beneficial bacteria so I added it on top once finished.

Ingredients:
4 cups veggie broth
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
4 mushrooms, sliced
2 small yellow potatoes, diced (or root veggie of choice)
1/2 cup barley (optional)
2 bay leaves
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
1/2 cup cooking wine or sherry
1/4 cup saurkraut for each serving bowl

I cooked in a crockpot since I was at work but you can cook it on the stovetop also. Place half the broth at the bottom of the crockpot and add chopped veggies on top.
 


Add the remaining ingredients.
Cook on high for a couple hours or until done. Top with saurkraut. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment